Friday, June 3, 2011

Surfboard Poppop

The other evening I learned all about another great aspect of begin a grandfather. I became an underwater surfboard for my six-year old grandson Ethan.

Funny as it sounds--he spent most of Wednesday evening standing on my back as I crawled along the pool bottom imitating a slow speed surfboard.

I am told he was really getting into the idea of surfing on Poppop's back--although since I was underwater I really could not appreciate his enthusiasm until I surfaced.

We spend more than an hour with me crawling along the bottom for a bit and then backing up to get him off so I could surface for a breath.

I learned a couple of things: he has sharp toenails, he has sharp fingernails, and he is tireless when it comes to surfing Poppop's back.

I do have a few scratches as reminders of times when he lost his balance.

It was a beautiful afternoon and I decided to take him to our pool rather than spending the afternoon at his house watching Phineas & Ferb.

We also worked on his swimming skills and he is finally at least breathing when he swims and can almost reliably swim the length of the pool.

What a great way to spend some time after work--working with the grandsons.

No comments:

My Zimbio
Top Stories